Hi doc, I have acidity issues every now and then. It is very irritating. I end up taking an antacid. Can you tell how I can prevent this from happening?
There are several things you can do to prevent an episode of acidity like:
1. Avoid alcohol. Normally alcohol in moderation is well tolerated but for people prone to acidity even a small amount of alcohol can cause discomfort.
2. Avoid smoking .The nicotine in the tobacco affects the opening and closing of the food pipe allowing back flow of the normal stomach acid into the food pipe.
3. Eat small meals. Instead of 3 big meals, have 5 small meals every 3-4 hours. Eat slowly.
4. Don’t sleep on a full stomach. Try to have an early dinner. Make sure there is a gap of 3 hours between your last meal and bed time.
5. Wear loose-fitting clothes.
6. Avoid certain known foods which cause acidity like, coffee, tea, colas, and citrus fruits, oily and spicy food.
7. If your weight is high – losing a few kilos will reduce acidity too.
8. Keep a gap of 2 hours between exercise and meals.
9. Drink at least 3 litres of water every day.
10. Try meditation and yoga to minimise daily stress.