Hi! I have no passed motions in 24 hours! I am feeling heavy! I don’t know why this has happened. What shall I do?
It seems like you are constipated. A person is said to be constipated if he/she is having a difficulty in passing stools. It is commonly associated with “hard” stools.
Common causes of constipation are:
• Not eating enough fibre. (Fibre which found in green leafy vegetables, fruits, and whole grains is needed as it absorbs water and swells, adding bulk to the stool for smooth passage.)
• Not drinking enough water.
• Consuming certain Medicines e.g. medicine to treat indigestion, medicine to treat epilepsy, antidepressants, calcium, iron supplements.
• Medical conditions e.g. an underactive thyroid, irritable bowel syndrome.
Here are some tips to prevent constipation:
1. Eat foods that contain plenty of fibre: Multi-grain or whole-wheat bread, biscuits and flour, brown rice, whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta, peas, beans, nuts, citrus fruits.
2. Exercise regularly.
3. Do not ignore the urge of passing stools. (Some people suppress this feeling if they are busy. It may result in a backlog of stools which is difficult to pass later. When you go to the toilet, it should be unhurried, with enough time to ensure that you can empty your bowel.)
4. Avoid heavy, spicy, oily food.
5. Have curd/ chaans / buttermilk regularly.
6. Have at least 3-4 litres of water per day.
To relieve your current discomfort try:
Have SYRUP DUPHALAC or SYRUP CREMAFFIN: 10 ml at bed time along with a glass of warm water. (Don’t use it for more than 10 days continuously.)
Have NATURE CARE ISABGOL: 2 teaspoons with a glass of warm water or milk every night.